Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Reality check.

So today was my first day with my new personal trainer. I was ready, excited, pumped. And for the first 30 minutes, I was good. Challenged, really challenged, and I could already tell that I had much farther to go that I'd hoped, but I was fine with that. I was working hard, but hanging in there. And the pushups? Ppssshaaw. I rocked them (thank you, chaturanga!). I was even rocking the standing lunges... until the second set came, and the 31 minute mark. And then it all went downhill. Fast. And badly.

Ok, so at my yoga studio (the place where I'm master of my chaturanga -- which, for those of you who don't know, is basically a pushup. Hence, I do about 50 pushups during each practice... in 110 degree heat...), I belong. I'm comfortable. I'm confident and calm, even when I'm stretching my limits and my endurance. I don't judge (myself or others), I avoid opinions (especially about myself, both about how well I'm doing and how poorly). I just do the work, embrace the workout, stay in the moment, focused, and enjoy it. That's not what happened at the gym.

I lost my breath, I lost my cool, I lost a small part of my lunch (yeah, I know), and then I lost my confidence and was wrapped in disappointment. I wasn't able to finish the hour, I wasn't able to complete the last few circuits, and I was right on my way to heartbreak. My trainer, Julie, was great -- she was understanding, supportive, encouraging -- but I felt like I had disappointed her, and me. And I left with my head high, but my spirits low, my head dizzy, my stomach nauseous.

Until I remembered my first moksha yoga class, where the post-workout results were much the same. Where I went back despite the difficulties and challenges and doubts, where I learned the mantra of I am breathing in, I am breathing out, no judgements, no opinions, just be present, just do what I can.

So, right now, I'm exhausted, headachy, sore. But already ready for the next session, even if the exact same thing happens. I refuse to be disappointed, I refuse to be discouraged. Bring it on!

No comments: