Monday, January 23, 2012

Yoga lessons

I've talked before about my favorite yoga teacher, Joe. Even before Rachel at the Yoga Bar (who has brought a whole new level of light and love and understanding and peace to my life as a whole, not just my yoga practice), there was Joe. I've had good yoga teachers in the past (Katherine, way back in KC who introduced me to real yoga in the first place), but it was Joe who really taught me what yoga was, what it meant to practice yoga, how to practice yoga, what it meant to be a yogi. Truly, fully, completely. It was Joe that brought that gentle wisdom and breathtaking enlightenment to my practice, and my life. It was Joe, and the studio he taught at, who brought gave me yoga again at all. Even when Joe left last year (moving to a new city to start anew with his wife and little girl), I channeled him in most of my practices. I quoted him to others. I thought about all the things he would say and teach and tried to keep them present in my mind, tried to keep them part of my life. And then he came back.

He's only back for awhile -- til April, is the current rumor. And this time, before he leaves, I'll be sure to take the time to finally tell him how much he has contributed to this change, this understanding, this appreciation and fulfillment that yoga brings to my life. I'll express my gratitude for his guidance and gift.

In the meantime, I'll continue to revel in his quiet calm, his slow way of talking and teaching, his gentle yet oh-so-important reminders. It occurred to me tonight that these reminders are not just for yoga, they're about life. And in the wake of a really good practice, I thought them worthy to share. So take a breath, and listen...

Joe always stresses the importance of no judgements, no opinions during practice. To just observe. To acknowledge the changes, invite them in, and let them move on. How refreshing to think we could do this in our everyday lives -- about ourselves, about others, no judgements, no opinions, just acknowledgement. He talks often about the body, the breath and the mind, how when we are distraught or overworked or losing concentration and focus, to just come back to the body, breath and mind. Come back to our breathing. How wonderful it would be when things in life get really crazy and rough to remember to come back to our breath, and focus on the beauty and strength of our body, our breath and our mind. To just let the rest go, the things that make us crazy, the things that make our brains circle around in a frenzy of thought, the things that make us judge ourselves and find us wanting... to just let it all go with one cleansing, prana-filled breath.

How amazing that would be, no? Thanks, Joe. Thanks for the reminders.

No comments: