Friday, January 6, 2012

We are three.

There was a short period of time today where I wished Grif was a twin. It's a feeling that I have often when I watch him latch on to 3-year-old he's never met, and proceed to laugh his head off and play with him for the next two hours like he was his "best friend ever." He was meant to be a twin, with his silly high-pitched (amazing) laugh and his noticeably stunning blue-grey eyes. He was meant to be a twin, with his endless, no, really, endless energy. His love of other kids. His delight in playing with another being his size and age and temperament. His, "you want to come play with me?" attitude of pure, pure innocence and delight that infects everything he does.

And then two hours later, when he's having a screaming fit cuz he's worn out from the park, I remember that this was the reason he was not a twin. Solely in service to my sanity, cuz two of him would surely push me over the edge I approach all too often as it is.

In truth, I wanted two kids from the very beginning. In truth, I was terrified of having (and parenting) ANY kids, regardless of number. And then between a pretty horrendous delivery, and an overly challenging first three months, coupled with my (ahem) age, and a myriad of other pretty selfish reasons, we decided to remain three and three alone. And lord knows that there are many days when I am sooo thankful he's a solo. Until days like today. When it's nearly 55 degrees and we go to the park to burn off some much-needed energy outside in the glorious, sunny sunshine. When we meet this sweet little boy Louis and his mom, and it feels like we should all have met years ago, our families and situations (and humor) so immediately alike and compatible, our natural affinity for each other. Louis' mom was 3 months pregnant, and so excited, that I couldn't help but pause for a minute and think, hmm. Should we have? Should we still? Regrets? And resoundingly, rightly, the answer is nope, none. Except for the fact that I should've exchanged numbers with Louis and his mom so we could meet another day and do it all again.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Theres something to be said for having just 1. Each additional kid reduces (literally) less attention received by each child. and the first one is by 50%!!!!! Rest assured your a great mother. Proof of the fact is the amount of time you spend just thinking about him. Enjoy and Happy New Year!

Steph M. said...

Thank you, my friend!