Friday, January 13, 2012

For me.

Friday the 13th? Bah. Granted, it was coooold here. And Grif and I (unfortunately) had to actually run out in the first really bitter weather we've had this winter, but that was more a case of bad timing than bad luck.

So what did happen today? Oh, not much. We played. We made old-fashioned strawberry pretzel salad (which in light of the good luck that came my way, I indulged in... heavily). We napped (translation, I got Grif to nap, a miracle of good luck in and of itself). And, my illustrious cookbook writer/cohort/friend informed me that we were on Amazon. Us. Our cookbook. Even more stunning, me. My name. Top billing. On Amazon. Right there for the whole world to see. And enjoy and appreciate and celebrate and read.

Now most of you might think this is silly (sort of like googling yourself), but I was struck. Still am, if my staccato writing here is any indication. I've been writing a book for awhile now, on and off (mostly off, in all truthfulness). I even wrote about that book here once, and I always knew (still know) that I would one day finish it, sell it, publish it, and then see it on the shelves of my favorite bookstore, and ultimately... on Amazon. The pinnacle. The ultimate. What I never imagined was that I would get there first as an editor. What I forgot to be specific about was that I wanted to get there at all -- and so seeing my name up there on that familiar Amazon template was akin to having all my dreams come true, even the ones I had forgotten about.

Deep in my heart, upfront in my head, ever-present in my soul, is the utter conviction that this is just the beginning. Both as editor and writer. As editor, another cookbook (dare I say, cookbooks?) with my name (and Kelly's and Court's) will find its way to that (official)(epic)(amazing) book-selling, book-reviewing, book-making site. And as a writer? Well, that too. I'm sure of it.

So thanks, friends. Thanks, Kelly and Courtney. Thanks to all my neighbors and friends and family and hubby and boy who helped me get here. And I'm not just talking about the cookbook on Amazon. I'm talking here, on Friday the 13th, with the biggest, most satisfied, Cheshire-Cat grin on my face. Thanks, universe. This day has been so, so good.

No comments: