Thursday, January 5, 2012

Fit to be.

A consequence of my very (thankfully) busy last year was that I did not (as planned) continue to write down the funny sayings and nuances of a quickly growing Grif. I love and am soooo thankful for the extra time with him courtesy of my (no-longer-new) job, equally blessed with the overabundance of freelance work that fell into my lap (including the illustrious cookbook), but writing in the "Grif Journal" was one of the things that got abandoned by the wayside quickly as the year and ensuing craziness and fun unfolded. My plan is to pick it up again (maybe tomorrow?), and fill it in randomly, in no order, with all the silly stories and snapshot memories that I have of him in the last year. Sort of like a "best of," stream of Grif consciousness, you could say.

So as I pondered what today's blog and photo would be and bring, I picked up the boy from daycare, and immediately was branded "bad Mommy" because I had forgotten (legitimately) to bring the usual, obligatory pretzel/raisin snack pack that Grif usually inhales on the way home. In a word, he threw a fit. A huge one. He is three after all, and everyone (medical professionals included) assure me this is normal. So in an attempt to distract him, I pointed out the awesome colors in the setting-sun sky, to which he immediately responded, "I don't WANT to look at that sky." And which, of course, he did immediately. Three seconds later, the fit ended when he spotted a plane in that gorgeous sky, crying, "Mommy! Oooh! A plane! Ooh! Look! Over there! Behind those trees! A plane! Behind those trees!" His eagerness and excitement over the plane making his voice high-pitched and stuttery and repetitive, a reaction that has happened many times before.

Which brings me, I guess, to the point. How amazing his capacity for wonder and excitement is. How huge. How quickly it can turn on a dime, from a screaming, fit-throwing, seat-kicking, crazy child to a high-pitched embodiment of laughter and light. A lesson I would do well to learn, and certainly emulate more. More wonder and joy, less fits and anger. How's that for a motto?

No comments: