Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Epic.

Ok, so here in Colorado, everyone's buzz word is "epic." That run was epic. That party was epic. That lunch? Epic. It's said in reverence, or excitement, or awe. Consider it the CO version of awesome or amazing or wow-worthy. I've heard it a lot in the last few days. But it wasn't until today that I finally got it.

Today, I did something waaay out of my comfort zone. And I did it alone. Epic. Today I hiked 30+ minutes, above 11,500 feet, to get to the top of a mountain. Epic. Many times during this hike, I wanted to turn back, give up. Especially when I came over the first hill, ski boots trudging and heavy skis over my shoulder, and realized that what I thought was nearly the end of the hike was not even halfway. And I was sure that I couldn't do it. No way. But somehow, someway, I kept going. And kept going. And made it to the top. Epic. Today I hiked to 12,000 feet, just to ski some different terrain. Because I wanted to. Epic.

Today, I almost decided not to ski at all, cuz I'd be going by myself, skiing by myself, and doing it all with a very tired body and mind. Today, I went anyway. Epic. Today I heard song after song, some of which I had forgotten, all of which brought a huge smile to my face and a skip to my step (and ski). Epic. Today, I rallied, when I'd rather have slept. Today I hiked, when I'd rather have given up and gone back. Today, I remembered what it was like to be me -- strong, beautiful, healthy, free, amazing me. Epic. Epic. Epic.

And today as I drove back down the mountain, Into the Mystic blaring on the radio, I was overcome with gratitude. Tearful, overwhelming, fabulous gratitude. For my wonderful life, for my amazing family, for my good, good health, for this truly epic day that I had given to myself.

I think more of us deserve truly epic days like this, don't you?

No comments: