Tuesday, January 3, 2012

365... err, 362, I guess.

Ok, so I'm not a huge believer in New Year's resolutions. The Universe slipped me a little note last year, that oddly (or not oddly?) is the one that I have passed on to so many others, but somehow cannot find (even after searching for the last 10 minutes)(coincidence? you know the answer to that, I'm sure). Regardless, its message is that there's no such thing as "starting new" or "resolving to make things better" now that the calendar year has turned. What's real, what's important, is believing (ALWAYS!) that what you wish for, what you want, what you wish to change or feel or accomplish or be is always within reach. That instead of starting anew, it's more of a re-energizing, re-affirming, re-believing, if you will, in yourself and everything your life can bring you (and already is).

I've been wanting to do a better job of recording the magic of Grif. His craziness, his antics, his everydayness. And one of my photographer friends is taking and posting a new pic of her kids every day this year, 365 snapshots into the joy of her life and her family. As soon as I saw this, it struck a vibrant chord with me. Yes! This is the answer I didn't even know I was looking for (I love how that's always the way, right?). The answer to both my dilemma for blogging more and simply recording more of the boy's life.

So here it is. Day 1 (which is actually 3, but whatever). This morning, Grif and I got a late start, compounded by the fact that I let him cuddle into my bed, covers pulled all the way up to his nose, to watch Curious George while I hopped into the shower. I was so struck by his little face, the way he was mesmerized by the cartoon, his full attention on it, and the way I could only see the top half part of his head from the nose up. His sweet little cute button of a nose. It was the nose that got me.

Then tonight, we were playing trains before bed. And he was telling me a story about the one -- calling it the Spo-ler Esspress (Grif-speak for Polar Express), HOO-HOO!!!-ing around in circles, and telling me it was headed to the mountains. Pause. And also. Pause. The North Pole. His innocence, his energy, his stillness and motion. His youth, his joy, his very boy-ness. Click -- a snapshot of both, in my head and on this page forever. And although this photo does not capture either specifically, it's the start for both.

I love new beginnings, don't you? Consider this more than my happy new year to you (and me, and jim, and grif). Consider this my Happy Always.

No comments: