Monday, December 21, 2009

Feeling the Season

Ok, once again, I stole -- err, borrowed -- a wee bit from Boho Girl (perhaps it would be better to say that she inspired me -- she does that a lot). She began her blog post today with the phrase, "Today I woke up really feeling the season." And suddenly, amidst a somewhat bad headache and millions of errands to do and cookies still to bake and work days left to get through, I realized with a smile that I was too. Really, truly, totally, fully feeling the Christmas spirit, cheer, joy, peace, happiness, vibe, christmasy-ness....

Something about this day has revved up my holiday engines and I'm excited about the week. Was it our family Christmas card that is finally finished (thanks to both friends DR & Kelly!) and one printing job away from being ready to send out? I can't wait to send this card out -- it so perfectly represents our year, and my hopes and dreams as a family...

Was it deciding last minute to buy gifts for the boy's daycare teachers and having my other friend Jen talk about having to return some ornaments whereupon I exclaimed, "Wait, this is perfect! I'll buy them from you!" -- saving us both an extra errand?

Was it joking with the police officers outside Macy's when I asked for directions? I got a wee bit confused and needed quick direction help -- they wanted to charge me $5 for the info. I stood my ground (all of us smiling) and pointed to the Salvation Army Kettle that I had just thrown a few bucks in and told them their "fee" was over there...

Was it the cold, crisp air? We got snow over the weekend, and it's cold out, but bundled up, it's not too cold, certainly not too cold to walk outside (instead of driving) for the lunch hour -- it's the first day of winter officially, and that feels just right for the holiday season today....

Was it making the obviously overworked post office clerk smile? I asked her how she was holding up, and she responded with a totally straight face, "Just another day in paradise." Which, of course, made us both look each other in the eye and totally crack up with real, genuine laughter...

Was it the guy at Chipotle who, in the midst of a seriously insane line of people, took the time to talk and joke and smile at EVERY person, wishing each and every customer (including me) with true exuberance and happiness in his voice (absolutely shining in his eyes), "You have a happy holiday!"...

Was it finding those very last two perfect gifts for two dear friends I wanted to thank? Walking by a certain store sparked an "OF COURSE!" The icing on the cake (the star on the tree?) is that these last two gifts came from a local merchant. Much as I love shopping online, it does my heart good to shop truly local...

Is it looking forward to the end of the day, when I can pick up Grif, make him dinner, play with him, watch him, laugh with him (and read to him -- he's crazy about reading these days) all before he goes to bed whereupon I will dive into rolling out the four cookie doughs in my fridge waiting to be baked?

Is it the phone call I'll get from Jim as this day closes, from a different city, probably in a different time zone, where I'll get to tell him all these magical, minute details that happened today?

I'm still not sure. It's all of these things. It's none of these things. It's something deep inside that I can feel is finally aware, awake, alive with the holidays. Which are about giving. And receiving. And being thankful. And being hopeful. And all about just feeling the season -- being here, in the present, to feel feel feel the season. Which, thank the universe, I am today.

No comments: