Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Creative break, creative refresh

Not so long ago, at a completely different workplace, I used to blog occasionally during business hours. (Gasp!) Of course, I no longer do this -- mostly because of the fact that I am only working part-time, and am slammed from morning to afternoon trying to cram in all the work I have to do in a shortened work week. I'm not complaining -- it just strikes me as odd that I've made less time to blog here (minus my marathon New Year's beginning), and I attribute that to being so busy and focused at work that I no longer need/have/can afford that 10-minute creative break I used to take advantage of pretty often. Really often. Ok, a lot.

Until now. It's September 11, and I'm taking just a bit of my lunch to refresh my writing here, refresh my soul, if you will. It's a heavy day in our history, filled with so much weight whether we fully recognize it or not. It's hard to concentrate on writing for a client when my heart simply wishes to revel in and remember how truly good my life is, and celebrate it with the boy and my pilot.

So, in tribute to those hearts that were broken, and friends who were lost, and lives that were freely given, I pause and give thanks, once again, for this crazy world and all I have and love in it. I give thanks for my strength and beauty and health. For the love of my life, my pilot, and the center of my universe, the boy. I would be so lost without them, for they are the source of so much of what is good and joyful and right in my life. Grif standing at the open window yelling, Bye, Mommy! I love you! at the top of his lungs. Jim reaching over to encircle me in a hug when I'm cooking or lying in bed or simply standing still. My friends, my family, who understand me and love me, even when I'm ungrateful or mean or absent. For my talent, which sometimes pulls words from the air and forms them into something meaningful, whether for an agency client or this simple little blog or a little boy bedtime story.

It's always a hard start to get back here after I've been away for so long -- the apathy, the guilt set in from my silence and laziness and busyness -- but it seemed important to take the time today. It seemed appropriate to take a chance and make a little jump back here where things are so familiar, even after all this time in silence. It seemed...right. Thanks and love, universe. Always.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thought of you today friend. Missed you a LOT. Felt like you often write about---lost. Anyway....damn rules!!
See ya!